Oratorical Contest 2021-2022
“Staying Optimistic in Challenging Times”
The District finals will be held on Saturday, May 7, 2022, in person (World Competition slated for St. Louis in July, exact date TBD). All Zone and Region winners will receive plaques given to them at that level (engraved name slat will be ordered when winner’s names are known). District winners also receive an engraved plaque. There will be three scholarships awarded to the District winner, 2nd, and 3rd place. This contest is non-gender specific. The top winner advances to the World Competition.
- Two winners at the Club Level
- Two winners at the Zone Level
- Two winners at the Regional Level
- First, 2nd & 3rd Place winners at the District Level. Only First Place advances to the World Competition
Club Contests: Conducted by March 6, 2022.
Zone Contests: Conducted by March 27, 2022.
Regional Contests: Conducted by April 17, 2022.
Information packets can be requested from Optimist International or can be downloaded from www.ohiodistrictoptimist.org or www.optimist.org. The link leads to an application, brochure, and Club Planning Guide.
Lt. Governors: Please mail all winners’ paperwork to your Regional Chair immediately after your zone contest. Regional coordinators should mail paperwork (please make sure all blanks are completed) to Debe as soon as your contest is finished.
Debe Dockins Region 1:
Ohio District Oratorical Chair Prior Contest Venue: Brunswick Municipal Building
588 Shelbourne Lane; Apt. 207 4095 Center Road,
Dayton, OH 45458 Brunswick, OH 44212
DebeD87@gmail.com Chair: TBD
and email@example.com Zone 1 – Open
Cell: 937-266-2331 Zone 2 – Lt. Gov. Kevin Zehe
Zone 3 – Lt. Gov. Debe Dockins
Prior Contest Venue: University of Northwestern Ohio
1441 N. Cable Road (400 Crown Building)
Lima, OH 45805
Zone 4 – Lt. Gov. Ray Abel
Zone 5 – Lt. Gov. Tom Kennedy
Prior Contest Venue: Southminster Church
7001 Far Hills Avenue
Centerville, OH 45459
Zone 6 – Lt. Gov. Brenda Moore
Zone 7 – Lt. Gov. Pat Behn
Zone 8 – Lt. Gov. Darrel Basford
At each stage, it’s very important that all the paperwork is completed. In order for the scholarships to be processed, I need to submit the following to OI:
- The Contestant’s Application Form for the 2020-2021 Contest
- The Zone/District Regional/District Entry Form which must include the number of contestants that participated in each level of the contest AND the appropriate signatures, including the contestants.’
- The Optimist Regional Information Form from the Regions which will be held in April.
- A Copy of the contestant’s birth certificate or passport. No other age verification documents will be accepted.
- A copy of the contestant’s Club Contest Evaluation which can be found in the Club Planning Guide. This is often missed, but OI considers it mandatory.
- A printed copy of the speech.
- PLEASE make sure you have signatures of club officials.